SBS-H2-DoD: Hydrogen Gas Detector
Hydrogen Sensor and Monitoring System
Designed to meet the US Department of Defense (DoD)’s rigorous UFC 3-520-05 requirements, the SBS-H2-DoD Hydrogen Detector is an upgrade of our popular SBS-H2 system, providing improved Lower Explosive Limit (LEL) detection levels. It is currently used by the Army, Navy and NASA.
Traditional detectors are designed to measure the amount of hydrogen gas in the air and provide warnings when gas levels reach 25 percent and 50 percent of the LEL concentration. The SBS-H2-DoD detects hydrogen at 12.5 percent and 25 percent of the LEL – a significant additional safety margin that is critical for military applications. The detector’s lower alert levels equal more time to address the issue creating the hydrogen gas, and more time means increased overall safety.
The SBS-H2-DoD has visual and audible alarms and 0.5% and 1% hydrogen relays. The device features CAT cable connections between the main unit and up to three sensors, leading to easier installs and retrofits into sensitive and classified environments. Each sensor monitors up to 600 square feet of space and can be powered by AC and/or DC power.
The system comes complete with the main control, a highly accurate hydrogen gas sensor and a 25 ft. cable. This unit can be powered with AC and/or DC power and can be mounted directly to a wall or to an electrical box, making it extremely versatile and very user-friendly.
The SBS-H2-DoD includes relays for remote connection to alarm/monitoring systems and for control of external relays for an exhaust fan.
Learn about the Hazards of unmonitored hydrogen in battery installations.
- Protects life, property and company profits
- Ideal for remote locations
- Fail safe mode in event of loss of power
- Up to three (3) sensors can be installed to main control to meet space coverage requirements
- Universal power inputs: 110/220 Vac and/or 12–48 Vdc input
- Strobe light for visual alerts
- Sensor status indicator LEDs on the main control
- Modular design for optimal placement of sensor(s)
- NRTL/C Certified: UL Std. No 61010-1 & CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 61010-1-12
- UFC 3-520-05, January 2020
- Wall or 2-gang junction box mountable
- Mechanical relays are easily accessible:
- Warning 0.5 % relay, 15 A @ 120 Vac; 10 A @ 277 Vac; 10 A @ 28 Vdc
- Alarm 1% relay, 0.5 A resistive @ 28 Vdc, 0.5 A @ 125 Vac
- Redundant power supply capability; dual AC and/or DC power supply connections (DC power supply will operate as backup power source)
- Indicator LEDs can be tested by pushing the red “TEST” button
- Sensors can be tested in the field with the P/N H2-TESTKIT
Detector can operate exhaust fans and building alarms / SCADA systems:
Warning Settings: Should the concentration of hydrogen gas in the air surrounding the sensor reach 0.5% by volume, the “0.5% Warning” yellow LED will light up on the main control of the unit. In addition, the 0.5% internal relay will energize and can be used to activate an external exhaust fan or a building management/alarm system (via SCADA Modbus).
Alarm Settings: Should the hydrogen gas concentration reach 1% by volume, the “1% Alarm” red LED will light up, the strobe will flash and an audible alarm will sound. In addition, the 1% internal relay will energize and can be used to activate a building management/alarm system (via SCADA/Modbus).
- Main unit
- Hydrogen sensor
- 25 ft. cable
|Power Supply(s)||110/220 Vac, 50/60 Hz and/or
12–48 Vdc (9–58 Vdc operating voltage)
|12.5% LEL (Lower Explosive Limit)||Dry contacts rated 10A/250 Vac|
|25% LEL (Lower Explosive Limit)||Dry contacts rated .5A/28 Vdc|
|Dimensions||4.7" L x 4.7" W x 1.2" D (main control)|
Sample Hydrogen Scenarios of Hydrogen Detector Placement
The SBS-H2-DoD includes relays for remote connection to alarm/monitoring systems and for control of external relays or an exhaust fan.
Parts & Accessories
wall or to an electrical box, making it extremely versatile and user-friendly.
Additional mounting options in data sheet.
|H2-SENSOR-25FT||Additional hydrogen sensor with 25 ft. cable|
|H2-SENSOR-50FT||Additional hydrogen sensor with 50 ft. cable|
|H2-SENSOR-100FT||Additional hydrogen sensor with 100 ft. cable|
|H2-TESTKIT-DoD||Test kit (includes 1% and 2% hydrogen, regulator, tubing and case) Note: cannot ship via air freight|
|H2-JB||4 11/16" x 4 11/16" 2-gang junction box|
|E190399||AC Cord 110 V, 10 A, 10 ft. with plug|